Monday, September 6, 2010

Real First Day of School

Today, was the real first day of school. It was different compared to the other days because I only met with a few students from 5th grade and 6th grade. Today, I got to meet some 3rd and 4th graders. My schedule here is a lot different from my schedule in Arkansas. In Arkansas, I see my students everyday. Here I see my students maybe twice a week. We have each group for two 40 min sessions. The first session has the students involved with reading the dialogue of each situational classroom in groups. The second session is the actual teaching. I teach in the restaurant. My job is to teach the students how to order and pay for a meal in English. I like it! In Taipei, I like to learn about people and their taste buds. Some of the food that I see is questionable in my eyes. But that is coming from an outsider looking in. After pretests and the two morning sessions, we had lunch. After lunch, we have the rest of the day to work on lesson plans, English Corner Videos, and Teachers Teach Day. The lesson plans I can handle. I am currently learning how to be in the movie making business. The teachers in the English Village are responsible for creating English videos about given topics that the classes watch. This year they decided to break the videos up into two levels based on age. I am currently working on a self introduction video and a puppet video. I'm not very good at it, but I think that I am getting better. Tomorrow, I have no classes to teach. I should be able to edit and finish both videos. Other than that, things are going smoothly. I watched a couple of the after school clubs before walking home. They were playing tee ball and soccer. I might join them tomorrow. I miss teaching PE!

2 comments:

  1. Oh lord! You are teaching kids how to order food from the menu..hmmm... this coming from the chick who goes for the desserts first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Taiwan, they mix their desserts with their vegetables!

    ReplyDelete