Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Another Typhoon

I spent most of the day working on a powerpoint that just wouldn't work properly on the computer in the theater. The computer crashed on me twice. I gave up and hooked my netbook up to the system. It worked so now all I have to do is edit and splice. That shouldn't take too long.
We have another typhoon headed towards us. The other teachers are praying for a Typhoon day similar to our snow days. It looks like it will cross over in the middle of Taiwan. I was told to go to the store tonight in case it did hit because everything would be closed. While I was out, I saw another foreigner. At first, we acknowledged each other with a smile and kept going down separate aisles. Then, he came down my aisle and looked over in my basket. Notice that I didn't say "glanced." So, me being me, teased him and asked if he was following me. Of course, the conversation began! This foreigner is Russian. I have never met a Russian before. It was weird, but in a cool way. I didn't struggle too much with his accent, but I could tell that he was working hard to make the conversation understandable. We walked and talked until it was time to check out. This was not a normal walk and talk. He felt comfortable enough to put his things in my basket and then take over pushing the basket. I thought to myself "Okay!" Of course, everyone was staring at us. I'm pretty sure we looked funny walking through the aisle together. I felt like his child. He was power walking and talking with his accent and I was almost running trying to keep up. He was a gentleman. He placed my items on the counter first, loaded my items in my new backpack (here you have to pay for your grocery bags), and again, pushed the basket to the other carts all while still talking in his Russian accent. He walked me to the MRT and said goodbye. Very nice guy! I would love to pick his brain! As soon as I got home, it began to rain. Talk about good timing and the Grace of the Almighty.
Tomorrow, will be my first English Club meeting with the Trendsetters (Thanks Gary and Sheila). Not sure how it is suppose to run, but I'm sure I will find out. Today, I learned that I will have a week off from teaching in October. I will try to set up my doctor appointments around that time because I won't have any classes to shuffle around.
The security guard tried to teach me how to open the gate if he is not at the desk. Of course, he doesn't speak English. For some reason, he kept thinking that if he kept talking in Chinese that I would eventually get what he was saying. Yeah, Right! It didn't work! He showed me and then tried to talk to me again on the elevator; in Chinese! He is a funny man! One day we will communicate, but it will be a while because he talks too fast for me to break down the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment