Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fireworks and Lock Outs






Saturday was interesting. I woke up to the sound of loud fireworks, drums, and singing/chanting. I'm not sure what time it was but I know it was before 9am because my alarm had not went off yet. I went downstairs to look out the window. I saw men climbing out of the back of a truck. They were putting on costumes. I looked at my calendar and it read "Double Ninth." Last week was Double Tenth. Boy, these people know how to celebrate! So, I grabbed my camera to go take a few pics and videos and my plan was to get back in bed until it was time to get up.
I joined the small crowd outside. Only a few of us had cameras. The rest of the spectators must have been working the little parade because they sat on the sidewalk drinking beers. I stood (hid) under a tree while I filmed because the fireworks were too close and really loud. After they performed their dance and took a break, the workers put their costumes back on and continued with the parade. It had begun to sprinkle so I'm not sure if they finished.
Well, I went back upstairs to get some more sleep and my door failed to open. The deadbolt would not turn. I thought to myself, "How am I going to communicate this to the security guard (he speaks no English)?" I went downstairs and made some gestures with my key and he followed me upstairs to see if he could get it opened. Of course, he couldn't. He said something to me in Chinese and then had me follow him downstairs. He asked the lady to translate for him (she was holding an art class for some kids in the building) and then he made a phone call. To make a long story short, I spent the remaining of the morning in the art class and on the stairs. My morning went something like this: I follow the locksmith upstairs to my apartment and stand to the side as he tries to unlock my door (just like I tried and like the security guard tried). I follow the locksmith downstairs so that he can tell the security guard that I need a new lock and that he is going to go and get one. I go sit in the art class. The locksmith comes for me in the art class and I follow him upstairs to my apartment again and sit down on the stairs as I watch him bang on the door and work on prying off the deadbolt. It doesn't work because he doesn't have the right tools. I follow him back downstairs so that he can tell the security guard that he needs to leave again and will be back. I go back to the art room and the security guard translates to the art teacher who turns around and translate everything that is going on to me. All I have is my nonworking key, a camera, and a hungry stomach. I still don't know the time. The locksmith returns after awhile and I follow him upstairs once again. I sit there and listen and watch as he is having the hardest time getting the deadbolt off. At least I know that the locks around here really do work! He finally gets the lock off, but can't get the bolt out of the hole. He leaves me to call for backup. Yes, I am going crazy on the stairs. I had enough time to count my braids (293 to be exact). He finally comes back after what seems forever and begins working on my door again. Shortly, his back shows up and together they work on the door. The bolt finally comes out and then within a few minutes, I had a new lock and 3 keys. They had some good teamwork going on. When one was getting the tools out of the bag, the other one was working on the door. They never stopped moving until it was done. Almost like they were reading each others minds. I guess installing locks isn't hard for most men, but to see them synchronized was pretty cool. The first thing I did when I got inside was look at the clock. It read 1:40pm. That meant no Tae Kwon Do for me. Boy, what a morning! At least I didn't have to pay $1000NTD for the new lock.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed!
    Extremely helpful info particularly the last part :) I care for such information a lot.

    I was seeking this particular information for a very long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

    Here is my web blog; clash of clans hack

    ReplyDelete